You may pay the Intensive English Language Program non-refundable application fee ($40) with credit card information online (see link above). You may also pay with a check or money order (drawn from a US bank in US dollars) made payable to Cleveland State University; please contact us about mailing or dropping off the app fee.
USEFUL INFORMATION FOR CURRENT AND ARRIVING STUDENTS
Welcome to IELP!
The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) at Cleveland State University can help you improve your English skills whether your goals are for educational, business or personal reasons. By living "in the language," you will learn English more efficiently. Cleveland is a welcoming, multicultural city in the mid-western United States with four distinct seasons. You can explore US culture and customs by visiting the many museums and cultural events in Cleveland and the state of Ohio. Students who apply to study at the Intensive English Language Program must be 18 years of age by the first day of classes. The IELP at Cleveland State University meets the professional standards in the field of ESL, and holds institutional memberships in the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP) and the Association of International Educators (NAFSA).
Why Cleveland State's IELP is your best choice:
• IELP has full-time study. F-1 visa students receive 20 hours of intensive English study in the classroom per week from experienced ESL teachers.
• IELP has part-time study available for residents or citizens for whom English is their second language.
• IELP is part of a 4-year university. If you want to earn a degree from a US university, you will have the opportunity to experience campus life. Students at the IELP can use the library, gym, computer labs, etc. on the Cleveland State University campus and will have a university ID.
• IELP students have access to on-campus housing, airport pick-up, orientation activities.
• IELP has four levels of instruction (High Elementary through Advanced; There is no true beginner's level).
• IELP offers courses in Reading, Writing, Listening/Speaking, and Grammar.
• IELP’s smaller classes give students more individual attention.
• IELP’s experienced and qualified instructors have advanced degrees in ESL or a related field.
• IELP can design special programs for groups during the regular semesters or the summer.
The Summer 2022 application deadline is March 23, 2022 if you are in your country. If you are in the US and transferring from another school, the deadline is May 9, 2022
The Fall 2022 application deadline is July 1, 2022 if you are in your country. If you are in the US and transferring from another school, the deadline is August 13, 2022.
The Spring 2023 application deadline is November 16, 2022 if you are in your country. If you are in the US and transferring from another school, the deadline is January 2, 2023.
We connect ESL students with volunteers who arenative English speakers (faculty, staff, alumni and undergraduate and graduate students) here at Cleveland State University. Partners should commit to an hour of conversation per week. If you are interested in partnering with one of our students, please contact us at the Intensive English Language Program located in Mather Mansion, Room 205, firstname.lastname@example.org or 216 875-9669.
For more information, contact:
Michele Bowman, Ph.D.
Director, ESL Program/Intensive English Language Program
2605 Euclid Avenue, MM 205
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, OH 44115
ESL Program - Teacher Education Department
2605 Euclid Avenue, Mather Mansion 205
Cleveland, OH 44115
The Intensive English Language Program, Cleveland State University is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation. For further information about this accreditation, please see http://www.cea-accredit.org.
Return to the ESL Program page