The School of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State University is consistently recognized as one of the best public affairs colleges in the nation according to US News & World Report.
Our Master of Urban Planning and Development (MUPD) program equips students with the knowledge and skills to affect positive change for diverse and dynamic metropolitan regions and communities. The MUPD program is fully accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board.
The MUPD program prepares future urban planners with skills to analyze past, present, and future urban conditions and provides them with an opportunity to develop technical expertise in a variety of areas of practice. Through our curriculum, engaged activities, and faculty research, we generate innovative ideas that foster livable, equitable, vibrant, and sustainable futures, particularly for legacy cities.
Coursework places emphasis on general planning knowledge, skills, values, and ethics. This includes:
- Being able to explain, describe, and analyze the purpose, meaning, rationale, history, theories, and processes of planning and urban development across time and space
- Understanding Rust Belt cities within their global context
- Conducting and communicating sound research
- Preparing high-quality plans through equitable and inclusive processes
- Explaining and applying planning values and ethics, including a commitment to equity, diversity, and social justice
- Planning for a sustainable future
The MUPD curriculum is comprised of 48 credit hours, including core courses, an area of specialization or electives, and a studio. Students can choose a generalist program or pursue specialization. Specialization can be pursued through any of our six tracks, or through a curriculum designed by the student in consultation with program leadership. Our six pre-organized specializations are:
- Housing and Neighborhood Development
- Economic Development
- Real Estate Development and Finance
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Environmental Sustainability
- Historic Preservation
View the MUPD curriculum sheet to learn more.
We also offer a dual degree program, combining a Master of Urban Planning and Development and a Juris Doctor from the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. Full-time students may earn both degrees in four years, rather than the five years required to earn the degrees separately.
Careers in Urban Planning and Development
Our program has seen 100% job placement within a year of graduation for several years. According to Forbes, careers in urban planning are among the fastest growing occupations in the US. Our MUPD graduates are employed by cities, townships, community development corporations, social service organizations, real estate and development organizations, and planning firms across Ohio and the United States.
Graduates of the MUPD program are well prepared for leadership and management roles in public, private, and nonprofit sectors. Our graduates find sustainable careers in:
- City and county economic development agencies
- City and county planning agencies
- Community development organizations
- Metropolitan planning organizations
- Nonprofit advocacy organizations
- Philanthropic foundations
- Private sector planning, development, and design firms
- Public or nonprofit housing agencies
- Public park systems
- Real estate development firms
- School districts
- State and federal government agencies
- University research centers
- Watershed organizations
Streamlined Application Process and Courses that Fit Your Schedule
Application fees and standardized test score requirements are waived for spring 2022 applicants!
School of Urban Affairs' graduate programs are designed to accommodate part-time, mid-career students, as well as full-time students. Courses are offered primarily during the evenings. Full-time students can complete their graduate degree in two academic years.
Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships
The School offers graduate assistantship opportunities and over thirty dedicated scholarships for School of Urban Affairs students. Graduate assistantships are competitive, providing a stipend and potential tuition support to qualified students.
Start Your Future Today!
- Our Faculty are Nationally Recognized. Learn More about our Faculty. »
- View Alumni Success Stories. »